Monday, February 14, 2011

Roma Girls Group

I am so excited about our new girls group that we started in January! It is for teenage girls 13+ from the Roma Community in Bisce Polje, Mostar. We (myself and fellow Novimost worker, Karin) will be meeting once a month with the girls and our aim is to create an environment where we can just love on them and help them see how precious and valuable they are to God.

Most girls from that area don't have a vision or big expectation for their life. Many don't go to school and if you ask them what plans they have, it's just to get married and move away from their family. Not that that's a bad thing, but these girls have so much potential, and through our group, we hope to encourage them to discover and develop their skills and fulfill their God-given purpose.

It's really sad to think that today, across the earth there are communities where women are treated as mere "objects" - to cook, clean, bring pleasure, bear children...who they are and what they feel doesn't matter. These women don't get a chance to develop their potential - it's not important...they're just an "it". It breaks my heart and definitely our Father's heart to see beautiful women being devalued, abused, mistreated and regarded as the "scum" of the earth. One often feel helpless when you consider things like this..what can I do? How can I help that women in a remote country without hope, without love?? But I don't think we should focus on what we cannot do. I think we should rather think - what CAN I do? And to be honest, we all can do something. If we would just take the time to look around us, we'll be amazed at how many people there are that need someone to encourage them, someone who would believe in them and speak God's Truth in their situation.

My prayer today is that God would make me sensitive to where there's hurting people around me - in "my world"...that I will reach out, love, encourage - be like the "water-er" in His flower garden...to share His life with the "broken reeds" or "bent flowers" or the "young growing sprouts" - to help others flourish and through it all bring great glory to my Father in Heaven. Will you join me in this??
L xx

No comments:

Post a Comment